|Grades 3-6| No-Temper Treasure Island is a board game designed to teach 8-12-year-olds about anger and anger control. The game can be played with as many as eight players. With younger students, it may be more effective to have fewer players. Children with poor anger control generally have difficulties in three areas—empathy, internal locus of control, and impulsivity. They also have difficulties in processing aggressive/non-aggressive information. This board game addresses all of these areas.
Cut apart the cards and laminate them for durability. Place the five decks of cards around the outside of the gameboard. The Ruby Jewel Cards (Empathy), Emerald Jewel Cards (Locus of Control/Impulsivity), and Gold Coin Cards (Anger Control) have questions dealing with their respective topics. The Diamond Jewel Cards give students the opportunity to role-play different situations and show effective anger-management skills. A student who draws a Diamond Jewel Card (Role-Play) may choose other students to help perform the role-play, but the jewel card goes only to the player who drew the card. The Sapphire Jewel Cards (Take A Break) deal with relaxation techniques.
How to Play:
Determine who will go first (roll the die, flip a coin, or assign a first person), then go clockwise around the group.
Players landing on a square that is marked with a jewel or coin draw the appropriate color jewel/coin card and follow the directions or answer the question on the card. If the player successfully completes the task or correctly answers the question written on the card, the player is allowed to keep the card. If the player is unable to complete the task or answer the question written on the card, the card must be returned to the bottom of the appropriate pile. When landing on a square with written directions, the player should follow the directions and move to the appropriate space on the gameboard.
There are several “special” anger-management places on the gameboard. If a player lands on one of these areas, the following should be done:
- Ornery Overlook: You acted ornery for no good reason. Give one of your jewel/coin cards to the person on your left.
- Relaxation Reef: Lead the group in a relaxation technique such as slowly counting to 10, telling a joke, or taking three deep breaths.
- Get-Over-It Grotto: Tell about a time you successfully controlled your anger.
- Laid-Back Lagoon: When landing on either of the two rocks that cross the lagoon, the player may choose to give the pirate a jewel/coin card and take the turtle’s shortcut. If this is the choice, the player moves to the turtle’s back and, on his/her next turn, proceeds through the shortcut. If the player does not want to give up a jewel/coin card, the longer path must be taken. Cards given to the pirate are placed on the bottom of the appropriate pile.
- Volatile Volcano: You lost your temper and need time to calm down. Lose a turn.
- Explosive Mood: The player must roll the die immediately. If 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 is rolled, the player is sent to Get-Over-It Grotto. If 6 is rolled, the player is sent to Relaxation Reef.
Players do not need to roll the exact number of remaining spaces in order to land on the treasure chest (finish). The first person to reach the treasure chest and have the most jewel/coin cards is the winner.
- Colorful 22" x 17" gameboard printed on medium-weight glossy paper.
- Dice and 8 pawns.
- Cardstock game cards (cutting required).
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!