|Grades K-12| In 15-Minute Focus: Diversity, Bias, and Privilege, Dr. Natalie Spencer Gwyn and Robert B. Jamison give educators, counselors, and administrators knowledge, strategies, and resources that can create a safe, culturally diverse learning environment for all students.
Whom can students turn to when they encounter racism and bias? How are these experiences impacting their mental health? Can students feel safe in our schools? If you have ever asked yourself these questions or had students come to you with concerns about racism and lack of diversity, this book is for you.
As our nation grows in its cultural and ethnic diversity, our school populations have also changed. In an ideal world, schools would serve as a welcoming place for all students regardless of ethnicity. Unfortunately, many schools have become a place of racial discord, racism, bias, and discrimination. Unequal access to services, lack of resources, and biased practices contribute to an education system that fails to educate, serve, and support every student.
In this book, you’ll discover:
- Key terms that provide clarity when discussing race, ethnicity, bias, and privilege
- The impact of bias and privilege on school performance
- Tips for building supportive schools of diverse learners
- Strategies for educators, counselors, and administrators to promote bias-informed education
- The critical role empathy plays in correcting course
- Assessments, curated resources, and more!
Each chapter includes a case study that illustrates an aspect of diversity, along with questions to apply the book’s principles in your own context. In addition, Gwyn and Jamison provide a comprehensive list of tools adults can use to become more culturally aware as well as create more culturally diverse and inclusive classrooms and schools.
Digital resources included.
THE SERIES INCLUDES:
- 15-Minute Counseling Techniques that Work
- ANGER, Rage, and Aggression (15-Minute Focus Series)ANXIETY: Worry, Stress, and Fear (15-Minute Focus Series)
- BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONS: Strategies for Educators, Counselors, and Parents (15-Minute Focus Series)
- BEHAVIORAL THREAT ASSESSMENT and MANAGEMENT for K-12 Schools (15-Minute Focus Series)
- DIVERSITY, Bias, and Privilege (15-Minute Focus Series)
- GRIEF: Processing and Recovery (15-Minute Focus Series)
- SELF-HARM and SELF-INJURY: When Emotional Pain Becomes Physical (15-Minute Focus Series)
- SUICIDE: Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention (15-Minute Focus Series)
- TRAUMA and Adverse Childhood Experiences (15-Minute Focus Series)
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!